Saturday, June 5, 2010

Update: Where There's a Will, There's One Leg

In a post last week I recounted that August told me he had caught Red Rocket digging in the garden and I expressed skepticism at the ability of a dog with only one front leg to accomplish such a task. I must now confess that I have seen it with my own eyes and can testify that a three-legged dog can, indeed, dig. This was demonstrated on Friday afternoon when Red Rocket entered the house smelling of eau-de-rolled-in-a-stinky-pile. As always occurs in such situations, he was immediately airlifted to the tub and detoxified with lavender and chamomile dog shampoo. Shortly afterwards, in a vain attempt to re-stink himself, I saw him "digging" at the towel that covers the cushion of a well-stained chair. The technique is fascinating and he looks somewhat like animated views of caterpillars who stretch and then hump to move forward. His adaptability continues to amaze me.

No comments:

Post a Comment